FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2010, 06:37 PM

Unhappy Hard time dealing with Diabetes

I am 33years old and I have type 2 diabetes and I am really having a hard time dealing with it.
I am over weight and I have really made drastic life style changes I now cycle regularly and if I can not get on my bike I go for long walks. But the weight was not shifting till about three months ago when I started to lose weight and I am now 18kg down.
I went to our local diabetes centre this week and I was told that I am only losing weight because the insulin was not getting into my system ( a combination of injecting wrong and using the wrong needles) and that I will probably gain weight again!
It really just makes me want to cry I feel like I am caught in a catch 22 situation.
I need to lose weight to help control my sugar but the Insulin that is suppose to help me will make me gain weight?
I really feel like stop using insulin period have high blood sugar at least I will lose weight.
I know how insane I sound but I just feel so hopeless at the moment. I eat right I watch my carb intake and I exercise but still my A1C came back at 15.7.
I am just really feeling very down about it
Old 03-11-2010, 03:37 PM

I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time. I'm new to the boards and just found your post. I hope things are going better for you. I don't have any advice to offer, just my prayers that things will turn around for you. Don't ever lose hope.

Cyndi
Old 05-03-2010, 04:51 PM

Keep up the effort - I was very overweight when I was diagnosed with diabetes. I was put on metformin and I exercised like crazy and watched what I ate and was fortunate to have lost over 80 lbs so far - but my blood glucose is STILL giving me problems. I have to eat very small portions, exercise all the time and avoid carbs. Diabetes is very tough and I watched my father struggle with it for many years - but believe me you want to avoid the complications so just keep on checking out the impact of the different foods you take and increase the exercise. I swim - sometimes 3 times a day - or combine the swimming with walking since I really would prefer to be a couch potatoe!. Best of luck to you - I am sure you will see weight loss if you are persistent but believe me I know how you are struggling!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:48 AM

Do not give up! You must not stop your insulin. I became a widow at the age of 46 because my husband ignored his diabetes. He died of a massive heart attack which the doctor said was primarily due to his diabetes.

A few years after his death I was diagnosed with Type 2. I have struggled. Stress has a major impact on blood sugar levels and I have a lot of stress in my life. I started working out and have now joined Weight Watchers. I have my first weigh in on Friday. I don't know how the weight loss will be after my first week but I do know that my bg levels have been lower since I started the program.

Please don't give up. You are a beautiful person with a full life ahead of you. Look for a weight loss program that will help you lose slowly and safely. Just remember, you are worth it.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:32 PM

I was diagnosed with Type II five years ago and did really good to begin with and lost weight. Bad habits crept in and today I started walking again. I was told that weight watchers does not have a program for diabetics. Are you doing anything different with the diet? I had lost 56 pounds on the program before being diagnosed but have since put some of that weight back on
Old 11-12-2010, 07:10 PM

Hi Pixyt!
I am really sorry to hear that you are so down about your health right now. I just want you to know that I feel the same way all the time.
I think it's really good that you are seeking support on this online forum. For me, the best way to control my sugars is to be totally honest with myself and the people around me. I've been type 1 for 25 years and when my sugars start to get out of control I turn into a little girl again, changing the glucose results in the log and acting like I feel fine when I'm not.
I think that admiting your anxieties and being open about your situation will help you. Best of luck, and drink black coffee when you are hungry!
Old 11-21-2010, 02:34 PM

Hi, I was diagnosed in 2000 with type 2 diabetes, I Did major changes started curves, exercised ever other day straight from work (12hr) swing shift. Lost weight and did not have to take much medication. I was single parent of 3 daughters youngest being 12 at the time, my mother got sick in 2002. She passed in 2003 I was dating a man that was partially disabled at the time. And I got out of routine of exercise because of time demand. When I started My weight was 220 I lost to 165 still need to lose more but felt great. Then again life change my mom passed, this was hard for me, stress and I had a hysterectomy at age 30 so I was pre-mentalpals And dealing with glucose ups and downs, I was totally wacked . I felt I was going insane. Still I didn't get the connection. Diet , exercise , medications all have to balance. Today I am taking a pill and they started me on insulin 1x at night. My suggestion to you is keep the Excersise and diet. Please don't give up , this is your life line you need more than just walking in my experience, just 30min day ever other day,[ cardio+ strength training ] (not body building) is the vital key. Now I have to get my preaching into practice again. I work 4/10 now which is wonderful but my big tail is not exercising properly. Walking is not getting my heart rate up for 30 min like it needs to be to burn fat like I have to do to properly lose weight. I must do this it just takes me to be very aggressive to keep my routine. If I stop it's so very hard to get back because of procrastination. I'm posting this because it is the
Most important thing a type 2 person can do. I know the catch 22 my feet Hurt or my medications were driving my glucose down to low that I wouldn't even get going good and have a low I needed a snack. For a year that medication made me Crazy. They finally changed it. Now I got some of my brains back but they have added insulin. That means I have procrastinated to long! so now it's ON I have to do the Excersizing!!
Old 12-09-2010, 12:13 AM

Hi again, don't give up sweetie your pills may have to be changed, I am taking janumet now I was taking glybutin/metforman and it drove my sugar down I had to pack a lunch anywhere I went lol just a little exzaguration but it ment that I couldn't exercise like I wanted too. And with my now husband that is disabled, well now I have to do something now because of depression ! Grumpies because of lows and yes Darlin it's a constant battle but ya know what? I have grand babies and a green house!! Gota have something to drive for... Love love love And I'm sending you a big o'l hugz now and prayers hope things are looking up for you now!
You know what I would like to do ? I want to get a workout vidio for tybo or kick boxing to work On at home or something I was back up to 210 and last week I lost 7 pounds ! Oh you will get there
Too don't get to down and here is another big hugz !!
Old 09-17-2011, 11:48 PM

I am a T2 diabetic that is preparing for gastric bypass surgery because in most cases for T2's this surgery will get rid of your diabetes. This is not a magic cure you have to really work at getting prepared pre-surgery like loose weight get your a1C down and get your blood levels in line. This surgery isn't for everyone but it is something to consider