FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2011, 08:54 PM

Question How to Gain Weight with Diabetes

Here is my predicament. I am skiiny as hell, have always been, but have developed adult onset type 2 Diabetes. I eat a little of every thing, walk to and from Work 5 days per week, eat a littke of every thing and have manged to maintain 3 monthly A1C reading of 5.7 for the past ten years.

I did not care to do daily Blood sugar testing for years but my AIC spiked to 6.8 in January (it is back down to 5.7) and since then I have started doing morning testing and noting everything I eat daily. My morning reading has varied from a low of 103 to a high of 300 but settles between 160 - 200 range consistently.

I am trying to get good morning readings but every thing written is about losing weight to achieve good Blood sugar reading. At this point it seems that I need to put on weight so that I can lose some and thus achieve the desired reading.

What I need is a diet that allows for weight gain for skinny people like me and at the same time maintain good blood sugar balance. It is a rather delicate line and I would appreciate some advice with walking this line before I
disappear. I am 5'.7" and weight 125Lbs.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:59 PM

Default How to Gain Weight with Diabetes

My meds are Morning, 2mg Glimepiride with 500mg Metformin, Night, 2mg Glimepiride with 1000mg Metformin.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum!

We don't usually get asked how to gain weight, but here you go.

Quote: "To gain weight, you need to consume more calories every day than you burn with physical activity. You can also gain weight by increasing the size of your muscles."

You can also try weight lifting and carb counting. You can pretty much do this with a diet, that is diabetes friendly, and heavy on proteins.

Good luck!

Danny
Old 07-01-2011, 08:16 PM

Thank you Dano I will certainly try the recommended and look for me on the cover of some body building magazine soon.