FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2015, 12:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to serialmom12 Send a message via Yahoo to serialmom12
Default phobia of needles

I don't understand how anyone can shoot up. I could NEVER inject myself with anything.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

You can if it means the difference in living and dying. I have to do it a minimum of five times per day. I hope you never have to do the injections, but you will be able to if the time comes.

Danny
Old 12-30-2015, 01:34 AM

No I won't. I've all ready advised my doctor to note my medical records that if it ever comes to that, I will go home and blow my brains out. I'd rather be dead than to have no quality of life.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:24 PM

I, too, had a phobia of needles...so I understand. I'm T2, and the first time I had to inject insulin, it took me about 3 minutes to do it. Once I did it, I wondered what the fuss was about. I didn't think I could do it either, but I did it. You can do it too..just depends on how you want to live your life...or from what I gather from your post, you would rather be dead than alive. I wish you the best.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:23 AM

serialmom12 I completely understand your fear of needles (and have always wondered how anyone could be an IV drug user!!!). Starting type 2 was like a death sentence to me if I had to maintain it with a needle. For anyone who doesn't have this fear it's hard to explain- it's not about the pain, it's about the needle. Doesn't matter how big or small. The first time I took Victoza a nurse in my doctor's office sat with me for half an hour and in the end I had her give it to me. I went home determined to get past the fear. For the first few weeks I had my husband give me the injection at the top of my butt, but he travels for work and eventually I had to do it myself. Surprisingly I've been fine. I've had 2 c-sections and as a result the whole area under my belly button is numb so I don't feel a thing. And the needle for the victor is so tiny I can barely see it. The harder part for me is testing. I can't every day and on the days I do it's usually just once.

How are you doing with taking Victoza now? I tried once a week Trulicity but it didn't agree with me and I went back to Victoza.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:41 PM

Unhappy

I'm so happy you were able to do that. I was offered victoza and went into hysterics, so I'm on a very small dose of Glipizide. I honestly don't even thing I AM diabetic. I've told my doctor and endocrinologist that they are full of sh*t and just out to be pill pushers and make money. My A1C is between 5.5-5.7 and fasting glucose has been between 84-103.
I'm having gastric sleeve surgery in a few weeks (even though I really don't need that either, I'm a size 14-16 at 5'9",) just to make sure that I never have to inject anything. When you are phobic, desperate times call for desperate measures. One thing about being needle phobic is that my pain tolerance is phenomenal. I had 2 nine lb babies with no drugs and dental work w/o novocaine. I also avoid sedation for any medical procedures. I don't feel that it's necessary and I'd much rather deal with a few minutes of uncomfort that to be sedated.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmom12 View Post
I don't understand how anyone can shoot up. I could NEVER inject myself with anything.
The small stick of a needle feels a lot better than high blood sugar. It's what I have to do to live. There are far worse things.

Edited to add: and I've had T1 for 49 years and have had injections every single day of my life.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:44 AM

You're a better person than I am. That absolutely NO quality of life as far as I'm concerned and I could never live, or want to even TRY to survive like that. I'd commit suicide first. (Yes I'm serious.)
Old 06-26-2016, 03:08 PM

I could give anybody and anything a shot, except myself. When taking allergy shots, had to have my husband do it. Then Doctor put me on Tanzium and the nurse tried to get me to inject myself and I refused. Made her do it, then my husband gave them. Then my insurance wouldn't cover Tanzium and I had to take Trulicity...still my husband gives them to me and Trulicity hurts! Then was finally put on insulin...Toujeo. Nurse tried to get me to inject myself and I refused. Nurse injected me, my husband did for 3 days. Finally, on day 4 I woke up at 4 in the morning and it took me 3 hours to psych myself up to inject myself. I injected myself in my stomach. What a relief! And it was painless compared to the glucose monitoring sticks I have to do twice a day....they hurt more!!! I have 4 grand Angels that I have to be on this earth for. It's just mind over matter. I always said I could never be a junkie because I had such a phobia of being stuck by needles. But, the insulin needle is so small, most times I never feel it!
Old 09-21-2016, 01:03 PM

Default quality of life

It may not be no quality of life to you, but I have been taking injections since I was 11 over 20 years. Absolutely one of the hardest things in my life I have ever learned to do. I live a full and happy life with 2 amazing children. If you don't feel like you are t2 diabetic quit taking your meds see what happens. I just know that at 11 and at 35 I am not ready to give up and I can do anything anyone else can. It is a lifestyle but if you take care of yourself there is a lot of quality in it.