FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2015, 07:43 PM

Default Endurance Athlete Dx'd with Diabetes

Hi! I am new to this forum and have so many questions. I have been an endurance athlete most of my adult life. Last October I was diagnosed as being pre diabetic. I am very active (did an ironman a week after I was diagnosed) and continue to lead a very active life (10+ hours of training per week). I retested and the second round of tests came out worse.

I am really hoping to get this under control and have virtually cut out all carb (except what is in veggies, nuts, diary, etc) from my diet except when I am exercising. And when I exercise, I take Gu right before a hard swim session that may last up to 90 minutes, or when I am on the bike or am running, I eat frequently (gu, bars, oreos, etc) to help me keep up with my workouts. I have started taking my blood glucose to see what makes it spike and so far I am getting nothing that is very consistent.

One of the problems with my eating before exercise is that on most days I am working out in two stages. I exercise very early morning, then I stop for about an hour and a half, then resume another workout. This is due to having kids and getting them fed and off to school. So, after my first hard workout, I try to eat some yogurt with nuts or berries, eggs, maybe a bite of fruit, then right before my second workout, if it is going to be an intense workout, I eat a gu or a carb equivalent to a gu (about 100 calories of pure sugar). So my question is, is this ok to do? Or is it better to sip on a sports drink throughout the workout to keep my blood sugar constant? Or do I do both as 100 calories may not be enough? And if I do both, how much?

Thank you so much! I'm so happy to have found this website!

Addendum: I am petite, 5'4" and weight 110. So my calorie requirements may not be high to begin with.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum!

Danny

Tags
athlete, diet, endurance, intense, triathlete