FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2013, 04:22 AM

Default Gestational Diabetes Mellitus

When women are diagnosed with diabetes while there are pregnant have gestational diabetes mellitus. This means that the body is not capable to produce and use enough insulin necessary for the pregnancy. The disease usually develops later in pregnancy, therefore the risk to the baby is lower if the mothers would have type 1 or 2 diabetes. Women with GDM have to control the level of glucose in the blood through a healthy diet but also insulin and oral medication.

GDM usually disappears after birth, but unfortunately the risk of developing type 2 diabetes is high for the mothers, as well as for the children born to mothers with GDM.

The high level of glucose in blood can lead to several diseases which affect the blood vessels and heart, kidneys, eyes and nerves. This means that diabetics have a higher risk of developing serious health problems as well as infections. Diabetes is the main cause for blindness, cardiovascular disease, kidney failure or even lower limb amputation.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:32 AM

You are able to produce insulin but are resistant to it, making it more difficult for the body to break down glucose.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:09 AM

I think I should take care of my wife! Gestational diabetes mellitus is a problem.

Tags
diabetes