FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2014, 12:36 AM

Default need motivation

I got type 1 when I was 15 Iam now 22 and Iam struggling. I got the pump about 2 years ago and I thought it would help and it does but it dosent help me check my blood sugars so sure I will give myself insulin but Iam just not always giveing myself enough or I give myself to much. My blood sugars are always to high so when I do get a normal blood sugar I feel to weak to do anything so I eat and I feel normal again well at least my kind of normal. I get really bad neropothy in my feet and I have to take so much medication, sometimes I just hit rock bottom and sit on the couch and veg. Wish I just had a way to motovate myself any suggestions.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum!

If you are using a pump, then you are most-likely counting carbs and using a bolus for meals. This method works very well, for me, along with many others. Hopefully, your Insulin Sensitivity Factor (ISF) and Insulin to Carb Ratio (ICR) are calculated correctly. If you have reason to believe that these number are off or you feel that these numbers need to be tweaked a bit, then please talk with your Endocrinologist as soon as possible.

Motivation for me is that I have grandchildren, that I would like to see grow up. We do all of this diabetes testing and monitoring for those that love us and for those that we love. Motivation should include something that you care about. Pick a topic that you care about and imagine not being able to do that anymore. Basically, we have to take the diabetes beast by the horns. At some point we must say enough is enough and I have to get this under control.

Look for a diabetes support group in your area or find someone with diabetes to talk with. No one understands your problems unless they have walked the same path as you. You have the power to change this, you are in control and you can do it.

The low feeling will subside once you get more used to the more normal blood sugar. This I can pretty much guarantee. Please work diligently to get your average blood sugar below 140 mg/dl. Several studies indicate that this is the breaking point for eliminating problems down the road. Your body will thank you in years to come, if you are able to do this. Good luck with your control and management. I wish you well and much success in your journey.

Danny

Last edited by dano; 03-24-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:26 AM

I'm having the same problem too. Just last week I decided to try something different, and I have a friend who keeps me in check as well.
Anyways, what I'm doing is just overdoing it. I will test then set a timer for 2.5 hours later. Then I test again and set another timer for 2.5 hours again. Try over doing it. It's helping me get closer to the normal range. I'm still rollercoasting but I am staying out of the 20's. And the nerve pain in my legs has started to go down.
I wish you luck.