FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2014, 12:30 AM

Smile newly diagnosed type 1 gal

Hello,
I was hoping some of the other women could help me out. Fifteen months ago I was told I was type 2. I was doing well & keeping a1c less than 7 with only diet and exercise and lost weight. I am 5 foot 9 inches tall and got down to 133 pounds. I felt great. Then all of a sudden blood sugars went really high and none of the drugs worked: oseni, janeuvia, glyburide etc. My glucose readings were always over 200 sometimes as high as 400. Endo I had was a quack just wanted to keep trying more and more meds. I found a new endo. He just had me tested and told me I am type 1. Because I was high for 2 months my A1c is now 10.2. I am now on insulin and giving myself 4 shots a day. One with each meal and one at bedtime. Don't mind the shots but still getting used to them and having adjustments because I have been getting some lows to. Here is the issue between the type 2 meds which didn't work and the insulin I have gained 17 pounds. I don't want to keep gaining weight. Any advice? Thanks for help.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

SORRY, I am not a girl, but I do have some information. It sounds like you have a pretty good Endocrinologist. Talk to him/her about calculating your ISF (Insulin Sensitivity Factor) and your ICR (Insulin to Carb Ratio). Have him explain to you how to bolus for your carb intake. This is pretty much the same as being on a pump without the pump, you just use MDI. Using this method you can pretty much utilize a form of the South Beach Diet.

Concerning your lows, do a tag search on the "Rule of 15". Many people overdue the treatment of a low and go too high. It only takes 15 carbs and 15 minutes to treat a low, be sure to test. When in doubt always test. Good luck with your control and management.

Danny
Old 02-16-2014, 12:59 PM

Dano, Thanks. Since I am new to all this what is MDI? Also I am curious, you seem to reply to every post on this forum. Do you work for glucose buddy? Are you a doctor? What is your story? Are you Type 1 or type 2 or what? And for how long? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb5204 View Post
Dano, Thanks. Since I am new to all this what is MDI? Also I am curious, you seem to reply to every post on this forum. Do you work for glucose buddy? Are you a doctor? What is your story? Are you Type 1 or type 2 or what? And for how long? Thanks.
In answer to your questions:

"MDI" stands for Multiple Daily Injections.

I do answer a lot of questions. The main reason for this is that apparently no one else will answer questions. You will note that a particular post will have many views, but no answers. When people ask a question, they are looking for answers / help. I just try to give them that when I can. Please, by all means, feel free to answer any of the questions that you can.

No, I do not work for Glucose Buddy. I am an end user the same as everyone else.

No, I am not a doctor. I just have a lot of experience.

My Story -

Who is dano?

My Story.

My Son's Story.

I am currently classified as Type 1.5.

I have had diabetes for more years than I care to remember.

I hope that this answers all your questions.

Danny

Last edited by dano; 02-17-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Tags
dano