FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 PM

Default weight loss made easier I Promise

Derek, welcome to GB. I post rarely, but thought I would tell you my success. My brother is T2 and we are physically similar, I have been waiting to learn my fate fully expecting to be diabetic as I get older ( I'm 52 y.o. M).
Last summer I noticed my neighbor had lost significant weight and commented that he looked well, and of course asked him what he was doing.
He told me he was taking a maximum of 60 carbohydrates per day. A low carb diet. I was so impressed,I became instantly motivated.
At the time my bp was about 157/87 average, but I had not yet seen a GB that worried me yet. Still the writing was on the wall, and being about 50lbs overweight, I needed to lose the spare tire around my waist.
So I jumped on this eating routine style of living. I have lost 40lbs at this time, and feel great today (I take one day at a time). Unfortunately, I haven't motivated my brother yet, but I want to motivate at least one other person. This program is easy to do, helps you lose your appetite, and is absolutely free. I am thinking of creating a web site that is totally free. The program isn't rocket science and all you have to do is center it around a number of food items that are protein ( meat fish whey protein, low carb yogurts, poultry, you get the idea.
If you or anyone else is interested, I would love to help you start. I am much healthier today, I don't care what anyone else says, people are nicer to you when you are at a good weight. I am still working, at getting to the finish line, but my doctor said that I look good now and he only wants me to lose 5 more lbs. Or even stay where I am. I have found that the USA guidlines of height to weight ratios do not take into account people that have good muscle tone, so check with your doctor.
There are all kinds of low carb diets on line, and nearly all are trying to sell you on this simple concept.
If you are interested, send a post to me, and I'll walk through it with you or anyone else. The idea is simple, 1) diabetics need to control sugar intakes, and 2) most diabetics are overweight.
I can only help on the diet side of the equation.
If you need to lose weight, you can do it by
1) Eat Breakfast. It is best to eat eggs with bacon or lean hamsteak,or low carb yogurt with Raw Almonds. Do not eat bread, toast, milk ( Milk has lots of sugars and if you use low fat milk you are eating nothing but sugar according to the label. Instead, try Silk or soy replacement milk products which are low carb with the right type of fat content.
I know people are biting their knuckles in horror that I would suggest bacon & eggs, but it will be OK, unless you just plain abuse quantities. I have found that while I am denying myself bread, pasta, and other grained food products, eating something savory allows me to stay the course.
For lunch, just figure a salad with chicken, such as a chicken Caesar salad, or a breadless hamburger with lettuce tomato and onions. And get it in your head that if you eat 1/2nd a whole tomato, you will fill up. The goal here is to eat good carbs. Even if you ate a steak for lunch you are better off than any potato, bread or starch. If you do what I am suggesting, you will fill up,and find you're appetite reduces significantly over time, but for now you have to concentrate on eating all you want of low carb foods.
For the record, after 8 months, my cholesterol is 130. And my doc just took me off lipitor. That is a statin free number.
If you like dessert, try sugar free jellow with OMG whipped cream and of course raw almonds. Whipped cream is savory and is a great feel good food. High in fat, low carb, and two tablespoons has only 3 carbs and not that much fat.
For dinner, eat tuna fish salad, or another entrée that has protein. For Vegans, or non vegan, use tofu along with other proteins.
I'm using too much space, but if you take this course, I promise you will eat all you want, and within 2 weeks, you will begin to lose any love affair with food. It is truly amazing. I'm much more active. I have more energy, and am able to do more vigorous exercise. Of course, you need to exercise because this life style has less calories, and if you add any physical activity, you will see 5-10 lb weight reduction in the first 2 weeks.
Use Internet resources, try to exercise, even if it's two 10 minute walks. Exercise improve weight loss x2!
Remember, this becomes a lifestyle. I have had 4 weeks with no loss followed by a 5 lb drop the next week.
Expect 1-2 lbs per week, but not directly spaced. I remember sticking with it and finding no loss on some weeks, but you have to watch thing that impact weight such as SALT.
Good luck, and if you are not interested, pass this to someone else who may be. I have proven to myself it works, and the doc says it is healthy.... Remember to eat you're vegetables, mom was right like that!
Good luck and let me know if this helps and works. I really want to have others share this successful method, I have consulted with many doctors, ( I have lots of doc friends) and nobody has shot this down yet, and I was a 38 waiste and am now 32, we'll talk about wardrobe problems later.
Let me know if post is too long, and if anyone share my success, if so, I will start listing food examples, starting exercises, and answer any and all questions...... I hope I motivated someone out there!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:56 AM

I was diagnosed T2 two months ago. I started out motivated with the diet and exercise. I think that lasted a whole two weeks if even before I was back to my old habits. I am now trying a different approach. As you mentioned in your post I am trying a high protein low carb diet. I am limiting my carbs to 20g a day and calories to 1200 I have just started this regimen but any pointers would be appreciated.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:46 PM

@Tom,
You are right on the money with your statement. About 5 years ago I for the most part, I did the exact same thing. I lost around 150 lbs. (That's a decent sized female!!!) I stayed that way for about three years. Unfortunately, I was side tracked by a long summer being bed ridden in the hospital with a sever lung issue. When I finally got out, I didn't care. I was so tired of the bland hospital food I went on an eating binge and gained it all back. I recently started the no carb program again and look forward to it. I know it works because I've done it.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:11 PM

Default Same Experience

Tom my experience is same as yours. I took a blood test at my office and found that my fasting glucose level was at 216. Boy did it shake me in my boots. I immediately cut out all carbs, cheese/milk products. Started walking 45 minutes a day and in 6 weeks have dropped my sugar to 100 (today)

I also lost 15 pounds. This is my new life style.

People, everything Tom said is true. I too am proof that it works.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:07 PM

Default Focus and motivation

I wish I knew how to keep these two components at a high level. Although this is my first post, or even visit to the site, I've been tracking BG for about a year. I was doing reasonably well averaging in the 110 range but with a lot of meds. Lately I went back to the gym three times a week. My levels have suddenly begun spiking in the 140-170 range but leveling in the 110 range when I space my meals further. Bottom line, food intake is critical period. Exercise will accelerate positive outcomes, but it's secondary. I appreciate the input above regarding 60g of carbs/day. I had forgotten much of what I learned in seminars on diabetes. As of this morning I'm recommitting myself to managing my carb intake and working off my rather pronounced spare tire. I'm fed up with this med and lifestyle debacle. Thanks to all for the input and opinions. I will visit often as I feel that reading these entries are helpful in maintaining the elusive focus and motivation I do need to get this done.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:17 PM

Congratulations, what a great attitude! As my doc said to me, the day we beat obesity is the day we will beat diabetes! You are definitely in the right track, do not despair and keep on preaching the right word as you have done with your post. Great job, don't give up on your brother, try to convince him that if he does not want to do it for himself, to do it for you, since you want to have him around for a long time!

This is in response to TomSchwartz28 post

Last edited by canadiankoala; 08-01-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Adding the name of the original author
Old 05-31-2013, 12:43 PM

Hi thank thank you Thomas Schwartz I'm t2 also and I'm struggling with weight loss your post is a pick me upper. I'm going to try your idea. Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:12 AM

Default Watching carbs is good but can be dangerous

T2 and lost 60 pounds the old fashioned way - diet and exercise. I limit my carbs mainly because my glucose levels practically mirror my carb intake. At the same time, your body NEEDS carbs so diets like SouthBeach have been denounced by most medical professionals as being dangerous to your health. Moderation, like most everything, is the key. It's not how many carbs you take in, it's how much of your calorie intake is from carbs. Before I kept track my diet was running around 60-80% calories from carbs. Now it runs around 40%. My A1C has dropped from 9.5 to 5.1 and I'm off the Amaryl. So yes, limiting carbs is good, especially for diabetics, but check with your doctor before going crazy about cutting them out!

Here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say... "The South Beach Diet is generally safe if you follow it as outlined in official South Beach Diet books and websites. However, if you severely restrict your carbohydrates, you may experience problems from ketosis. Ketosis, caused by the breakdown of dietary fat, can sometimes lead to weakness, nausea, dehydration and dizziness."

Last edited by ddloren75; 08-03-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:54 AM

Just want to add that this post is really encouraging. I've recently been diagnosed and have been researching the carbs in my routine diet. I've been surprised at some of the numbers. A large tub of popcorn at the cinema has 137 g of carbs! I was doing that once a week and can't imagine how high my BG was spiking. Thanks for this post and the other supporting replies!

Allan

Tags
exercise, weight loss