FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2013, 01:25 AM

Red face New 1.5 or LADA Overwhelmed and grateful

I got my diagnosis last week. I knew it was coming based on how I was feeling. But still.

Yesterday I saw my educator for the first time who will be taking over my diabetes management as I need a little more aggressive treatment.
I am grateful because now I know why I feel like crap most of the time and it is not laziness or whatever- it was the diabetes. Knowing that, and taking my meds, pills and insulin, I have hope that I will feel better soon.
I am having a hard time getting support, for example, at lunch today my husband ordered ice cream. I asked him not to, but he insisted and I just walked out. I am fine saying no to it (sweets aren't my thing) but that was too in my face considering the newness of all of this.

I am really sensitive to people judging me and already the "just lose weight" has started. That's not the kind I have and anyway its a symptom, not a sign...*ranting*

Anyway... if anyone sees this, can you give me your thoughts on the any or all of the following:

D
  1. Do we *have* to wear medical alert bracelets?
  2. How do you deal with people judging you? i.e., comments about weight...
  3. How open are you about your diagnosis? was it a slow process of telling people, or is it vitally important to tell those you spend a lot of time with?
  4. What are a couple of things you wish you knew in your first weeks/months/year?

Thank you so much for all the support on here, I am feeling better about this already.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirid View Post

Anyway... if anyone sees this, can you give me your thoughts on the any or all of the following:
  1. Do we *have* to wear medical alert bracelets?
  2. How do you deal with people judging you? i.e., comments about weight...
  3. How open are you about your diagnosis? was it a slow process of telling people, or is it vitally important to tell those you spend a lot of time with?
  4. What are a couple of things you wish you knew in your first weeks/months/year?

Thank you so much for all the support on here, I am feeling better about this already.
Welcome to the Forum!

Good luck with your control and management.
  1. You don't have to wear the bracelet or necklace, but it's a good idea. Some even go for the tattoo. You should at least carry an ICE card on you, or put an ICE App on your iPhone.
  2. Mostly you have to let it roll off like water on a duck's back. Most people mean well, they just don't think before they speak.
  3. Slow at first, but now I don't hide it from anyone. I have to do this to live, so if they don't like watching me take a shot, they can turn their head.
  4. I wish that I knew the information located in the first three threads of the Type 2 Section. It took me years to compile that info.

Danny

Last edited by dano; 06-15-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Tags
advice, judgement, new diagnosis, support