FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2012, 07:04 PM

The rapid insulin I use when I eat or my blood sugar is high, I take in my stomach because I've been told it works faster in that area.

The other insulin that I take every morning and every evening(slow working) I take in my thigh because that will make it go even slower.

But of course if you use a pump like thing (I forgot the name but you stick the needle into a tube already planted in your stomach) both types of insulin will come in through the stomach area. (on for example smaller kids the bum is often recommended because it is easier due to body built)
Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 AM

Default injection sites

I've been told stomach, thigh, arm & butt are the injection sites. I've never poked myself in my butt though My stomach gets poked the most & obviously I have the most scar tissue there, so this year I've been injecting my arm & thigh more to allow my stomach to heal.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 PM

In my stomach area
Old 01-27-2013, 03:03 PM

The area over your triceps is An acceptable area to take an insulin injection as well as the other areas you mentioned.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 PM

Fat at back of arm & belly gvs better insulin perfusion than thigh
Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifullyMe View Post
I was told by a nurse that the stomach is the best part because its closer to the pancreas.
that's just ridiculous - I'm ashamed of that nurse! your pancreas secretes insulin into systemic circulation - why would you need to inject it closer to the pancreas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivieosariemen View Post
But of course if you use a pump like thing (I forgot the name but you stick the needle into a tube already planted in your stomach) both types of insulin will come in through the stomach area. (on for example smaller kids the bum is often recommended because it is easier due to body built)
firstly, an insulin pump continuously gives you a small hourly dose of rapid acting insulin - that's the ONLY insulin you use when on a pump - no long acting insulin is needed.

secondly, there is no "tube already planted in your stomach" - it's a small needle with a tiny plastic flexible tube (cannula/catheter) around it that you insert once every 3 or 4 days (yourself - no surgical interventions needed), and you remove the needle, leaving the cannula/catheter in place. it's easier because when you need insulin, you just press a few buttons, and you only typically need to "inject" yourself with the infusion set a couple of times a week. also, it allows for more flexibility with basal rates.

as for the original question, I keep my infusion sets in my abdomen and the back of my hip area, right above my butt. I rotate them each time to prevent the build up of scar tissue. each area is different for every person. many find that the abdomen works "better" than other areas so it's often recommended, but stick with what works for you - the other common areas are thighs, butt, back of arm, etc. many people also choose fatty areas because there are less nerve endings. the only rule you really need to follow is make sure you're rotating your sites every time so that scar tissue doesn't build up because that will definitely lead to loss of absorption!

Last edited by type1rachelle; 02-15-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:20 AM

You can inject in any place with fat, my friend does it in her arm and I do it in my tummy, leg and occasionally my butt. Hope this helps!(: