FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 PM

Default GB alternative for androids users

Technically this is off topic, but I am new to GB, and unfortunately an android user. The lack of two-way sync just doesn't make it practical to use GB.

I wish android device .csv files could at least be exported by type of log (i.e., just exporting BG or meds or food) rather than having logs with different types all lumped together into one .csv file. Even without two-way syncing it'd be much easier to manage and edit manually. You might have 10 different entries with 4 types of logs for 1 day and its impossible to cut and past and separate and organize all from one Excel document.

What other tools out there (free or paid) work for people who don't have IOS devices but able to keep logs synced between different devices.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
What other tools out there (free or paid) work for people who don't have IOS devices but able to keep logs synced between different devices.
None, that I know of. Some say that the Android GB is still the best out. That post is somewhere on this forum, probably in the Android sticky thread. Keep and eye on this thread.

Danny
Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
Some say that the Android GB is still the best out....Keep and eye on this thread.
If some say it is the best then that is good enough for me. Thanks for the tip for the thread.

One workaround I might try is using a worksheet app that can be edited offline and saved to Google Drive spreadsheets or Skydrive Excel. The Kingsoft Office app (free) works pretty good on my two android devices.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If some say it is the best then that is good enough for me. Thanks for the tip for the thread.
Well, it is still internet information and you know how anyone can say anything on the internet.

Quote:
One workaround I might try is using a worksheet app that can be edited offline and saved to Google Drive spreadsheets or Skydrive Excel. The Kingsoft Office app (free) works pretty good on my two android devices.
Keep us posted on that, anything to get the Android information off of the device and into a workable report format would be a win.

Danny
Old 02-08-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
anything to get the Android information off of the device and into a workable report format would be a win.
Kingsoft Office Android App works fine with one tiny exception which I'll explain below, but the real trick is somehow keeping a "master" spreadsheet when you do both offline and online editing without mixing up your "master" versions.

If you only work online -- like you have a smartphone with a good data plan -- you are golden and your problem is solved because you basically always get to work with your "master" document stored on the cloud. I would recommend Google Drive for PC's and android app and its native Google Spreadsheet app. It is quite functional to work with on even my phone, and Google spreadsheet is interchangeable with Microsoft Excel.

Kingsoft Office Android App (free) for Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 works flawlessly (ALMOST) if you have a good spreadsheet template you like to work with. It opens on both PC's and android devices and seems to be interchangeable with Google spreadsheets, Excel, or whatever your preferred spreadsheet program is.

The only word of warning I have is "wrap around text" within an individual cell gets cut off when opening the spreadsheet on the android device. So if I created the spreadsheet on a PC and then tried to open the spreadsheet on my android device with Kingsoft Office Android App, the only data in any individual cell is the top-line, even if the pc document had 3 lines of data in that cell. Any wrap around text that creates 2nd or 3rd lines in a single cell disappears. The way I get around it is making sure that each cell only has 1 line.

The nice thing about Kingsoft Office app is that it allows you to open up documents directly from your Google Drive, but I haven't figured out how to save it back to drive directly. I have to email myself the document and then save it back to Google Drive. Correction: You can save Kingsoft worksheet directly back to Google Drive from the Android Device, however it gets saved on your Google Drive as an .xlsx document, which you must convert into Google spreadsheets.

Last edited by jdbii; 02-08-2013 at 02:07 AM. Reason: you can save directly back to Google Drive
Old 02-08-2013, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the information. I am sure that there are a lot of Android GB Users that will be glad to know this....

Danny
Old 03-12-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I wish android device .csv files could at least be exported by type of log (i.e., just exporting BG or meds or food) rather than having logs with different types all lumped together into one .csv file. Even without two-way syncing it'd be much easier to manage and edit manually. You might have 10 different entries with 4 types of logs for 1 day and its impossible to cut and past and separate and organize all from one Excel document.
It should be quite easy to eliminate the types you don't want. Just sort by Type, then delete (or move) all the entries of the type(s) you don't want, then resort by Date and Time to get back to what you had.

- Bill

Tags
android, syncing