FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is this Thread Helpful?
Yes 2 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2010, 11:00 PM

Default PCOS and Type 2 Diabetes Link

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and the Link to Type 2 Diabetes--

Have any of you ladies ever heard of it? Let me ask a few questions...

Have you had trouble with fertility? Have acne? Have trouble with your periods or lose them all together? Do you have thinning hair at a relatively young age? Have you started to grow dark hair on your face; on your chin, along the jaw line, etc... Have you started to put on weight? And have you been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes?

PCOS is an imbalance of the male sex hormone androgen in females, we all produce a tiny amount of male’s sex hormone, but in PCOS, they get out of balance. When this goes untreated for a significant period of time, it can lead to a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes, in addition to a gamut of other problems.

I had terrible acne as a pre-teen & teenager; I stopped having regular periods at age 16 and struggled with infertility for 8 years before my 2 children were born at ages 26 & 28. I started growing dark hair under my chin right after I turned 19 and didn't think much about it. After all, my mother's hair was dark. I started gaining weight before the children were born and just figured I was eating too much and not exercising enough. The hair on my face kept growing until finally, I starting shaving it and tweezing it everyday. Electrolysis didn't help much.

I saw one of those Mystery Diagnosis shows and the woman's symptoms where the same as mine. I finally know what was going on, PCOS. I went to my GYN, and unfortunately, wasn't taken very seriously, just keep shaving, I was told. With the exception of the hair growth, I wasn't really bothered by the symptoms, besides, it was GREAT not having a period to worry about. I haven't had one now in almost 12 years.

Then, a little over a year ago, after routine blood work, my doctor tells me my blood sugar is too high, time for the 2 hour fasting test. A couple of days later, she tells me, I have Type 2 Diabetes. After talking to a different GYN and a bit more research online, I finally learn about the correlation between PCOS and Diabetes.

Sorry this is so long... Just wanted to get my story out there and see what anyone else has to say...

Thanks in advance for listening...

KT in FL

Tags
acne, infertility, pcos, weight gain