FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2010, 01:04 AM

Default HBA1C = 5.2 possible?

Hi,
I just discovered this forum since I strolled through the app-store. I am a type 1 for 34 years now. My last HBA1C was 5.2, my best ever. I managed to keep it in the 5s for several years now and I think most Type 1s could do the same once they learn more and more about their condition. I developed Type 1 when I was 16 and I am now 50, so I had plenty of trials and errors. I am on Lantus and Humalog, test at least 8 times a day and inject as many times as it is necessary, depending on the day and how many times I eat.

It is actually funny that a lot of my friends are jealous about my healthy lifestyle and the shape I am in! Easy to do for a diabetic.

I opened this threat with the intention to collect experiences from peoples that know how to manage their conditions really well. I know things are slightly different for everyone but it can't hurt to raise awareness and encourage people.

Could I suggest we share what worked for us to bring HBA1Cs down? Lots of little things can make a difference. Although I believe the biggies are doctors being overly cautious about low blood sugars and the recommended HBA1C are way to high to ensure a complication free longevity. The diabetes association is taking the same stand and I feel it is misguiding a lot of juvenile diabetics.

I learned so much a doctor will never tell you. Either they don't know or they too afraid of the big "H". Obviously we are all different, so we are just sharing our experiences and everyone is free to learn for themselves. You are the only master of your Type1. Please take whatever experience is shared here from someone else as an inspiration, not as a medical advice. We are no healthcare professionals and don't want to get in trouble sharing our experiences. Keep in mind everyone is different! but maybe not that much?

Let me start a list and maybe one of the administrators can keep a consolidated list going, or keep this threat on top?

Please take this list as individual's experiences that are in no way advice from a medical authority.

1. Fast carbs are the biggest evil. (best is to completely avoid them)
I can't tell you how many times I regretted them. Practically every time I had the likes of white bread, sushi or any type of sweets, I got in trouble.

2. High highs are followed by Low lows and vis versa
Plays in to number 1 above but the large swings are the start of all my evils. All large swings start with a bad diet!

3. Don't overmedicate the lows.
I only need 1 or 2 sips!!! of orange juice (not glasses or containers) to bring my BS from 40 to 80. Many times I have ended up with a BS of 250 after a BS of 40? By over medicating, I just encourage the next Hypo since I have to take more insulin again.

4. Low blood sugar levels not always make me feel the same.
In my experience the rate of change in BS levels has a greater impact than the BS level itself. A radical change in BS will make me feel hypoglycemic at 65, where a very slow drop over several hours from 90 to 40, I might not notice.

5. Test often (before and after meals)
The problem with BS testing is still that it is only a snapshot. I am happy to see 80 on the meter but I have no idea if I am on my way to 40 quickly or if I am stable or even heading to the sky. (A complex and low carb diet can help greatly with that)

6. Sensitivity to Insulin (elasticity)
My sensitivity to insulin is vastly different depending on the level of BS and time of day. In the morning I usually need more insulin for the same amount of carbs. Humalog for me works only instantly if my BS is below 90. The elasticity of my BS is vastly increased the higher my BS is before I eat.
For Example, the same meal and insulin intake can have very different effects: starting at 80, 1 hour 130, 2 hours 85, or starting at 130, 1 hour 210, 2 hours 170 (even with extra units taken for the 130 BS).

7. BS level before you eat.
Related to above, it is very important for me to control my BS before I eat. If I can avoid eating carbs as long as my BS is above 100, I am golden.

8. Small increments make a difference
I take my long term complication threats very seriously. Call me crazy, but if I test my BS during the day after a meal (2 hours) and it is at 105, I will take Humalog to bring it down to 75. In the long run that will make a huge difference, in particular it will allow me to have a meal later with others without experiencing unnecessary high BS levels.

9. Don't always trust the labels
Many of the carbs or sugars are misleading on packaging. For example, I couldn't figure out why my BS was rising after I had coffee in the morning until I tested it (again trial and error). I use Splenda since I like the taste of it but it has way more carbs than what it says on the packaging. One pack, I reckon, is about 3-4 grams of carbs (fairly fast acting too, additional problem is that the packages are not equally filled). Funny enough the content only weighs 1 gram?

Ok, I admit the problem would have been not as severe if I didn't drink 4 cups in the morning.

On this funny note I will close my thoughts. Hopefully the list will grow quickly and help many. Please share your experiences and comment on mine.

Thanks

Claus

Tags
low blood sugars, management, secrets, sensitivity