FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2013, 02:50 AM

Smile Type 2 now complicated by heart problems

Hi, I'm msjodi777. I found out that I have Type 2 diabetes on 9/13/2001 - two days after 9/11 hard to forget, wouldn't you say? I have been able to control my levels with Glipizide beginning way back then, until just recently.

On August 21, of this year, I had my second heart attack, and was admitted to the hospital. Because of the heart attack, my blood sugar levels were up and down then up again... no rhyme or reason to it. While I was in the hospital, the doctors found out that my aortic valve must be replaced; I have 2 veins in the heart that are 100% blocked and need by-pass to correct that; my left carotid artery was 70% blocked; and I have cancer in the right breast. Fortunately, I was able to have my carotid artery fixed while I was in the hospital. The rest is still waiting for test results.

All in all it was not a fun stay, but I'm pretty much used to all of it now. I've had Glucose Buddy on my iTouch nearly as long as I've had the device (2 years maybe), but before this last hospital stay, I was not very committed to the testing. Now I am! I am also committed to changing the way I eat. No more cookies, or M&Ms Peanut Butter for me... sigh...

At this point, my biggest problem is remembering to test and take my meds. But, I just saw on the home page here, that GB has an alarm to remind me to do this, so I am going to find out how to set that up. I am getting ready to read the other forums to see what is here, and how to do what I need to do to work on getting this rotten disease under control. The docs tell me that I have to stay on the insulin (NovaLog and Lantis) until after all the other stuff is taken care of, but they have also told me to work on my diet. At this point, my goal is to get the diet under control so that when the heart and the cancer are fixed, I can go off the insulin, and use the diet to control the sugar. I know it can be done, others do it all the time... I intend to be one of those who knows the proper way to eat, and exercise so that I can control the levels.

Finally, I would like to say thank you very much for the great app, and the support forums, the app has helped me so much these past few days that I know when I understand all that I should be doing, tracking will become second nature. <><

Tags
introduction