FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 PM

Default Newly Diagnosed T2, Quick Question

Hi All,

I'm a newly diagnosed T2 diabetic, and had some questions to ease my mind before my diabetics class next week.

I have been a pre-diabetic for a few years now with my weight rising and little to no activity taking control of me. The main reason I was tested 2 weeks ago and confirmed diabetic was the frequent urination and constant thirst that could never be quenched. I figured that was the final confirmation of a move over to Type 2. Here are my curious questions.

1) Since being diagnosed last week and finally getting a glucometer and Metformin prescribed, I've been noticing my glucose readings seem to be pretty high. I range from 264-428 since tracking began 2/15/13 (Friday). This is all really new to me, so I'm wondering do I need to do a shock & awe kind of regiment to get my glucose levels down?

2) Will lowering my glucose relieve the constant urination need?

3) What is the proper intake of carbs a day? I have read no more than 100g, so just want a good range to work with.

4) How often should I take glucose readings with my glucometer? Right now I do it when I wake, after lunch, and before bed.

5) When should Metformin be taken? I was only told twice daily, and not on an empty stomach.

I guess I won't keep going, and will keep some question for my diabetics training this next week. I appreciate the help, and so glad to see a community to fall back on for help. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tad scared. Thanks.

Tags
glucometer, metformin, type 2