FREE!Sign Up Log In Download

Join Glucose Buddy Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default Exercise --> Will it work for you?

The answer is YES!!!!!!

Most people, especially those just recently diagnosed, with Type II (T2) Diabetes are usually mentally overwhelmed with questions concerning this disease. Your Doctor has probably told you if you need to lose weight, by all means please take your Doctor’s advice. Your Doctor has most likely told you that the medications will only take you part way and that the rest is up to you.

Exercise is one of the most important ways to fight off the high blood glucose levels, associated with Type II (T2) Diabetes. Exercise doesn’t mean that you will have to immediately go out and join a health club. It doesn’t mean that you will have to buy special equipment. The only thing that it does require is that you put forth some effort. Here are a few ways that you can get some of your exercise: When you go shopping don’t circle the parking lot, for an hour, trying to get the parking spot in front of the door. Park in the parking spot, farthest away from the door, and walk. This not only protects your car from being hit by other cars and shopping carts, it gives you exercise. When you go into a building that has several floors, especially those with an elevator, take the stairs. When there are inclement weather conditions or when you are at the Mall, walk several laps around the inside of the Mall in front of the store fronts. Notice all the other people doing the same thing that you are doing.

If you want to get really serious about walking, as your exercise, then I urge you to go out and buy a pedometer. A good one will cost you approximately $25. Wear this device all day long, usually on your belt, it will help you keep track of your steps. Set your goal for 10,000 steps per day. That sounds like a lot, doesn’t it? Remember that you are going to wear this all day long. The number of steps that I take in a normal day is approximately 3,500. This means that I only have to get another 6,500 steps in, after dinner and before bedtime, as this equates to approximately three (3) miles with my average “step” gate.

Exercise will help you lose weight and help to lower your blood pressure as well. Get off the couch and get some exercise. It won't hurt you and it will actually make you feel better. I hope this helps to motivate you to take care of yourself. We are all in this together!

Danny

Last edited by dano; 01-28-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:18 AM

Smile Holy Shawow

Finally got off my butt and went for a 30 min walk. Meter went from 107 after low carb dinner, to 90 after walk.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgregoire View Post
Finally got off my butt and went for a 30 min walk. Meter went from 107 after low carb dinner, to 90 after walk.
Super!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Good for you kgregoire!

If you are T2 and using diet & exercise or medications this will work for all! More people just need to try it, as this is the most important way to get those numbers down!

Danny

Last edited by dano; 02-01-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:11 PM

Default High intensity exercise raises blood sugar

As a Jazzercise instructor, we're required to work out very intensely, or we could fail our evaluations, and ultimately be terminated. I've been a Jazzercise instructor for 5 years, and just got the T2 diagnosis a few weeks ago. After teaching a class (usually late afternoon-evening), my blood sugar rises 50+ points. It does drops to a more normal level after dinner. I did talk to a nurse and she said the release of glycogen and adrenaline are the cause of the blood sugar increase ("fight or flight" response).

When I teach, I work out at about 98% of my maximum heart rate. My doctor is all for my continuing to teach, but I haven't discussed the huge increase in blood sugar with him. I feel totally fine both during and after class. I don't want to give it up because Jazzercise is the only exercise I've been able to stick with for over a decade, and I love being an instructor.

When I do low intensity exercise, like walking, that lowers my blood sugar, so if my after meal level is a bit high, I take a 20 min. walk and that brings it right down.

Has anyone else experience the huge increase in blood sugar after an intense workout, and is there any need for concern?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnieme4rl View Post
As a Jazzercise instructor, we're required to work out very intensely, or we could fail our evaluations, and ultimately be terminated. I've been a Jazzercise instructor for 5 years, and just got the T2 diagnosis a few weeks ago. After teaching a class (usually late afternoon-evening), my blood sugar rises 50+ points. It does drops to a more normal level after dinner. I did talk to a nurse and she said the release of glycogen and adrenaline are the cause of the blood sugar increase ("fight or flight" response).

When I teach, I work out at about 98% of my maximum heart rate. My doctor is all for my continuing to teach, but I haven't discussed the huge increase in blood sugar with him. I feel totally fine both during and after class. I don't want to give it up because Jazzercise is the only exercise I've been able to stick with for over a decade, and I love being an instructor.

When I do low intensity exercise, like walking, that lowers my blood sugar, so if my after meal level is a bit high, I take a 20 min. walk and that brings it right down.

Has anyone else experience the huge increase in blood sugar after an intense workout, and is there any need for concern?
I've had my blood sugar raise after a workout. I have had to continue to make adjustements in my diet to keep this manageable, so it's largely the diet that works with the exercise.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

A shameless bump!

Danny
Old 07-01-2010, 04:03 AM

Smile

I have found that depending on what I do I get the bump too. If I play squash or singles tennis- I get it- doubles tennis not so much. I have seen an exercise physiologist at the Joslin Diabetes center in Boston and he has given me a range to strive for post work out and it is about an 80 point difference from low to high range. I am usually at the low end when I work out with my trainer- we do cardio, weights and balancing and stretching. As I said, the tennis and squash puts me on high end. I work out minimum 5 days a week, with walking only on the other two days. Some days I play tennis before I go to work and then work out again after work.

I find it depends on time of day, what you eat and what you do. Remember, even with a higher post sugar, it comes down and the benefits you get from the exercise are well worth that bump. Also, protien post work out (you have about 90 minutes) to replenish really helps. Try greek yogurt or cheese. I love those baby bel lowfat cheese or Fage greek yogurt.

I know that exercise works, because I have brought my A1C from over 13 to 6.6 in a year. Both my endo, my Joslin team and trainer are all of the thinking that you can never get enough exercise and that coupled with diet it is a key factor in the pursuit of those desired numbers.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnieme4rl View Post

My experience is quite the opposite, but I do a high intensity interval workout that consists of 8 repetitions of a 30 sec "sprint" at max heart rate on an elliptical trainer followed by a 90 sec jog. Repeat 8 times after a 3 min warmup at a jog pace, and in 17 mins I'm done. It always lowers my BS, and the most dramatic incident was a 70 pt drop. After 30 mins, tt bounced back 20 pts and held.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:27 AM

My pre tread mill workout BG number was 257 and the post number was 143. I walked on the machine for 25 minutes with a heart rate target of 110. My heart rate went as high as 125 but not below 110. Exercise works great! That was 2 weeks ago. Today my pre-workout BG level was 142 and post level was 120. I have also cut out food that I see drive up my BG levels.

Tags
10000 steps, exercise, type 2 diabetes, walking, weight loss